- Stir flour, pie spice, baking soda and salt together in small bowl. Set aside.
- Mix molasses, sugar and shortening together in large bowl.
- Mix in water (mixture may curdle). Mix in flour mixture. Form into disk shape, wrap in plastic and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 350°F. On a well-floured surface, roll out dough 1/8 to 1/4-inch thick. Cut into desired shapes.
- Place on greased baking sheets. Bake 10 to 14 minutes, or until gingerbread is firm in the center but not browning on the edges.
- Assemble using royal icing and decorate as desired. Makes one small gingerbread house or one 10-inch sleigh.
For Chocolate Gingerbread Dough: Add 1/4 cup baking cocoa to flour mixture.