- Cook Time: 60 Minutes
- Yield: 6 Servings
- An old-fashioned gingerbread recipe that will bring back memories of special times with family.
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1 pinch of salt
- 5 tbsp butter (softened at room temperature)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup Robust Molasses
- 3/4 cup cold water
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8 x 8-inch cake pan.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, spices and salt onto a sheet of waxed paper. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter until light and creamy. Add the sugar and continue beating until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and beat until well combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and pour in the molasses in a slow, steady stream, beating all the while.
- Add half of the sifted dry ingredients and mix just until well combined.
- Mix in the remaining dry ingredients.
- Slowly pour in the cold water and stir until well incorporated.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 35-40 minutes.
- Let cool in the pan about 1 hour before serving.
- Cut the cake into squares and dust with powdered sugar. Yields 16 two-inch pieces.