Southern Molasses Cake
Cook Time: 45 Minutes
Yield: 12 Servings
- A cake for all occasions.
- 2 C. enriched flour (sifted)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp Spice Islands® Cream of Tartar
- 1 1/2 tsp Spice Islands® Ground Saigon Cinnamon
- 1/2 C. Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1/2 C. sugar
- 1/2 tsp Clabber Girl® Baking Soda
- 1 tsp lemon rind (grated)
- 1/2 C. Grandma’s® Original Molasses
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 C. milk
- Preheat oven to 375˚ F.Grease and lightly flour two 8-inch cake pans.
- Sift together flour, salt, cream of tartar and cinnamon.
- Cream together shortening, sugar, baking soda and lemon rind. Add molasses.
- Stir in 1/2 cup flour mixture. Beat in eggs. Add milk alternately with remaining flour mixture (about 1/3 of each at a time). Beat 1/2 minute.
- Bake 25 minutes or until done.
- Cool; frost if desired.