- Cook Time: 1 Hour, 45 Minutes
- Yield: 48 cookies
- A delicious cookie with a great spice taste.
- 1/4 lb butter, softened
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup Original Molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 cup flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3.5 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, finely ground
- Cream together shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add molasses and egg; mix well.
- Sift in flour, baking soda, salt and spices. Mix well.
- Place in freezer 1 hour or chill in refrigerator 2 hours.
- Form into approximately 1-inch balls; roll in granulated sugar.
- Bake on greased baking sheets in 375F oven 10 to 12 minutes.
*These cookies also turn out very well if made with vegetable shortening instead of butter.