Crisp and Spicy Ginger Snap Recipe
light brown sugar
white sugar (divided)
Grandma's® Original Molasses
1 1/2 tsp.
black pepper (finely ground)
1. Cream the butter with the brown sugar and 1/4 cup of the white sugar until well combined and fluffy looking, about 3 minutes on medium speed.
2. Add the molasses and the egg and mix well.
3. Add the flour, baking soda, salt, ginger, pepper and beat on medium speed until well combined and the batter looks smooth. Scrape the sides of the bowl to make sure all the butter and flour is in there.
4. Refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to 24 hours.
5. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 370 degrees F.
6. Lay parchment paper on cookie sheets, or lightly grease sheets.
7. Roll balls of dough about the size of walnuts and coat in remaining 3/4 cup white sugar.
8. Place 1 1/2 inches apart and use the bottom of a glass dipped in sugar to flatten to circles about 2'' across.
9. Bake 15 minutes or until the edges are browned.
10. Cool 5 minutes on baking sheet, then transfer to cool on racks. Store in an airtight container once completely cool.
*These cookies also turn out very well if made with vegetable shortening instead of butter.